- A guest post by Cyndi Rogers:
I heard a lesson taught on Sunday evening that made me think what comes after MY comma? The lesson was on a verse, one little, tiny verse:
“I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great; and you will be a blessing.” -Genesis 12:2
Who doesn’t think that all sounds great, back in the days of Genesis and today in our modern society?
I want our Nation to be great.
I want to be blessed.
I want my name to be great.
Sure, those are admirable things to strive for, hope for, and ask for from our God, but is that the end of it? Are we to be blessed just for “being blessed’s sake”? I think not! And more importantly, our Papa God thinks not!! Sure, He wants to bless us, and we want to honor Him by living a life worthy of a great name. And who doesn’t want to live in a great Nation? But, it doesn’t stop there. God didn’t put a PERIOD at the end of that statement. He put a COMMA there! And, I am so glad He did. He didn’t stop there. The exciting part comes AFTER the comma. After the comma, He writes, “And YOU will be a BLESSING”.
Did you see that? He wants us to BE a blessing to others, even if it is one other person. He wants to use us to be a blessing to others! That is really cool in my book. He is not blessing us and making our nation great (or at least trying to in spite of ourselves), and strengthening & encouraging us to carry on a great family name or change history and create a great family name by the legacy that we leave just for the sake of making our lives great and wonderful. In Genesis, His word says this, ‘So you can be a blessing!’ I can’t imagine any of us, as we near this earthly life’s end, thinking to ourselves,
“I sure wish I had made more money.”(financially blessed)
“I sure wish I had lived in a bigger house.” (materially blessed),
“I sure wish I had a more prestigious job.” (reputation & a great name in the business world)
“I sure wish I had been the room mom more for my children or gone to more soccer games, dance recitals, or school competitions.” (name great among mom’s)
No, we hear of people thinking of how their lives impacted others and touched others’ lives for the good. We want to live a life that blesses others.
So, this got me to thinking about our bible study and why we meet and what it is all for. Sure, one reason we meet is so we can grow and be blessed, strengthen one another, encourage one another, and grow in God’s word. But, that is NOT THE END, my sweet sisters!! That is just the beginning!! As we think about how we can bless one another, let’s step outside of the box and think about how we can reach out in our community, where we live, work, and play, to help someone or some group in need. What kind of impact can we make today on another life for the good? Think on that today my friends! How can we, as a group of like minded women striving to serve the Lord, make a difference and BE A BLESSING? It’s up to us to make a difference and reach out to minister to those hurting around us. Remember Genesis 12:2 and the powerful COMMA that God put there just for you and just for me. What will come AFTER our collective COMMA?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cyndi,
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking time to share this with us. I was encouraged by this.
I recently heard a sermon along the same lines but they used the dash on a grave headstone between the birth and death dates.The point was what will you do with the time God has given you on this earth what will you do with the dash.
Janet
I feel so blessed to have become part of this great group of amazing ladies (not "mean girls")and share fellowship with you.
Cyndi,
ReplyDeleteYou are so right! What a great encouragement to us as a group. I can't wait to be a blessing to others.
There are several ideas floating around. Some that I mentioned on Tuesday night include:
* Doing something for a family for Christmas
* Assisting the flood victims with food/clothes
* Serving some meals for Providence
and then I was emailed a couple of other ideas:
* Start bringing a couple of canned food items to each meeting and then take them to the Salvation Army's food pantry
* Start bring a pack of diapers or formula or wipes to each meeting and then take the supplies to the Women's Enrichment Center
Again, I would like to do something that would include a choice of how to participate.....serve by monetary donation OR serve by volunteering your time! I think several of the above ideas would fit nicely.
Ya'll continue to pray about how we will serve others as a group. I'll surely keep you updated.
Much love to you all!
Shana