Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Crazy Comparison

I'll be the first to admit that I am a surface person. All too often, especially when reading scripture, I read the words on the page without thinking about much else. I've never been accused of being a deep thinker. I take almost everything at face value, and as a result, I miss out on a ton. That is one of the reasons I enjoy doing Beth Moore studies so much. She really forces you to think about what you are reading and to picture it in your mind's eye.

Esther has always been one of my favorite biblical characters, and I know I've read the scriptural account several, several times. Not only have I read the scriptural account, but I've also read "Haddassah" by Tommy Tenney and I've seen "One Night with The King" as well. And, that's not even counting the Farmer family's well loved "Esther" VeggieTales DVD. But, the Esther homework is really causing me to think about it more deeply. At some point, she has us think about what we're reading as if shooting the scene with a video camera.

So, as I've worked on the homework the past week or so I've tried to play along. I don't know whether this is going to work in my favor or not, because doing so has resulted in a crazy comparison.

The homework in week 2 starts with a King who misses a WIFE.....not a concubine, mind you, A WIFE. And, I wonder if I'm the only woman who finds that comforting. It seems to serve as confirmation that wives are truly "help mates" to our husbands, and they need us for support in addition to their "other" needs [p36]. I guess that could be a whole "other" post. :)

But, then in Day 2 it talks about the crazy contest that the King's advisers drummed up to give the King what he needed. And, in doing so, it mentions the fact that Esther had a habit of "winning favor". She had obviously found favor in Mordecai, her cousin who adopted her. She had found favor with Hegai, the King's eunuch in charge of the harem. And, she ultimately found favor with the King himself. Beth surmises that Esther "won the favor of everyone who saw her (v15)" at least in part because she had manners and people skills. And that's when the crazy comparison entered my mind. Here it is:

I'm thinking that the story of Esther might not be far off from a modern day episode of "The Bachelor". Think about it, you had a buttload of beautiful girls all in one place competing for the affection of one man. I've only watched a season or two of the Bachelor.....watching beyond that just started making me nauseous. It seemed like every season, the drama and the catty-ness came out sooner and sooner. It always seemed like there were a few girls on the show that only thought of themselves and their prime way of making themselves look good was by making others look bad. It's the classic case of insecurity rearing it's ugly head. On the other hand, at least in the season or so that I actually watched, there was a girl who was genuinely nice and could get along with everyone; a girl who was able to keep from being caught up in all the ugly drama. A girl who was beautiful both INSIDE & out. And, much to the producer's delight, it seemed that quite often, those two girls would be the last 2 remaining for Mr. Prince Charming to choose from. I just couldn't help from wondering if that was kind of what it was like with Esther.....and the "nice" girl actually won for a change! How refreshing! Am I crazy or what?

There are certainly other qualities she possessed besides just manners and people skills that allowed her to win the favor of others. On page 49, Beth asks us to "describe what kinds of qualities a woman must possess to win the favor of other women in spite of her appeal to men". My answers included: Beauty, Wisdom, Humility, and Kindness. What do ya'll think? What would your list include?

It certainly got me thinking about whether or not I possess those qualities....and how I might go about adding them and fine tuning them in my life. Life is certainly not a popularity contest, but I do, at least, want to be well liked and pleasing to my Heavenly Father....

What do y'all think?


P.S...... on a completely unrelated note, don't ya'll just love the way I reference Beth Moore by her first name like we're best buddies from way back...... I swear, our old Bible Study wins one ounce of recognition on her blog, and I suddenly think she's my new BFF ( ha ha ha)

4 comments:

  1. What?? You mean we aren't really Beth's BFF's?? I'm heart broken. But seriously...this week has got me to thinking about whether or not I would find favor as did Ester. Do I have manners?? Now, certainly being brought up here in the deep south, I've gained some just by osmosis. But, do I keep my mouth shut and mind my manners all the time...I'm thinking not so much. I'm thinking some time in a finishing school could do me some good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tooo funny!!! What a great post! I'm sure Beth thinks of her good, ol', Dalton Gang with fond memories. How could she forget her rappers from the south?
    Also, I also thought about the Bachelor right after our last session and told Ken about it. Then I talked to Elaine about it and guess what crazy ol' me and Elaine cooked up? Well, we think the whole storyline/movie/reality tv thing will relate to our teen girls. We started our own study of Esther with them on Wed. at 5:45. We're going through the whole book on our own...didn't think they were quite ready for Beth Moore, yet. Anyway, we're gonna end it with a retreat (girls only at Karen's cabin) and all watch One Night With the King and play and do girly stuff together. I'm so excited about it, it's crazy! Esther (according to some commentaries) was 14. She was also orphaned and came with a less than spotless background. God used her...not a princess, but an orphan. I want our girls to realize that God uses people who appear weak (notice I said appear). He also uses broken, lonely, uncommon people, NOT who man would choose. God sees deep within to our heart. You know the scripture. I don't even have to quote it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri~

    That is a cool idea! And, you're right, I think that teens could relate to the story/reality thing as well if not better than adults do. Plus, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought of the story like a reality show. If you need extra adult help at the retreat, you could count me in. Sounds like a blast! Ya'll are geeeeeniuses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the comparison is a very good one Shana!! It is amazingly difficult to find genuine, heart felt favor in women's eyes as another woman. That's what makes true friendships so incredibly precious! I think my list of qualities that would cause me to show favor to another woman are: kindness, loyalty, empathy, a good ear for listening (b/c we all know I can talk), the ability to help me see the lighter side, a shoulder to lean on, genuineness of character (being real), and the ability to laugh and have fun together!! You can't help but think that Esther might have had a few of these wonderful traits.

    Those are just a FEW of the reasons I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the friends God has put in my life!! You gals are amazing!!

    Love you,

    Cyndi

    P.S. How COULD Beth (our BFF) forget the wonderful rap we did??!! LOL!! ;)

    ReplyDelete